Good Friday Religious Website Banner
Our History
 
Tallasahatchie First Baptist Church (TFBC) was the second Baptist congregation formed in Talladega County, Alabama, formed on April 27, 1833. The church building has been in the same place since 1837; it is the oldest congregation still meeting on the same site and in the same building. TFBC (the church and the cemetary) was placed on the Historic Register in 2014.
 
The TFBC congregation planted 7 other churches in Talladega County before 1900, including: First Baptist of Sylacauga (1835), Rocky Mount Baptist (1854), Winterboro Baptist (1880), and Sycamore Baptist (1890).  TFBC was one of 5 churches that organized the Coosa River Baptist Association.
 
Members were baptized in the Creek near the Church until the late 1960’s when the baptistry was installed in the Church.  Records indicate the Church building also functioned at times in its history as a public school, as well as a polling place.
 
The Tallasahatchie Cemetary is one of the oldest non-family burial sites in the county. The earliest marked graves are dated 1840. There are 2 sections to the cemetary, the Old and the New, and both are still open for burials. There are more than 1,000 marked graves, and many more unmarked graves. More than 2 dozen burial sites pre-date the beginning of the Civil War.  Many early settlers to the County, as well as many military veterans are interred at Tallasahatchie, including at least 3 veterans of the War of 1812. Other veterans of the Confederate Army, as well as WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam have also been laid to rest at Tallasahatchie.